Friday, May 10, 2013

A Hospital Visit?! On Vacation?! NOOOO!

We went to this amazing dinner at a place called Hula Grill and while we were there I thought I would step outside of the box and have fish because obviously I was in Hawaii so the fish wouldn't get any better than being there. So my aunt, my two cousins and I all ordered the same thing which was a fish called Ono which in Hawaii means "good" it sat on top of some mashed potatoes and there were capers all around it with an amazing cream sauce. Anyways my uncle got this seafood chowder and had some left over, and my cousin Colton was still hungry so he asked my uncle if he could eat the rest of his chowder and my uncle was okay with it. After one bite I looked over and saw Colton just staring at the bowl of chowder and swiping his spoon around the sauce. All of a sudden he asked "is there peanuts in this?" and we all sat staring at one another when I saw our waiter walking by and I asked him if there was any peanuts in the dish and he said "yeah they just sprinkle a couple on the top after it is cooked. And we all got wide eyed and rather freaked out because Colton is deathly allergic to peanuts! So as soon as we heard that we asked the manager where the nearest hospital was and it was apparently 45 min away because there was only 1 hospital on the island! And they were off, I stayed with my grandma and we got a ride home from a taxi because she doesn't walk very well, and we would have just been in the way. On the way to the hospital my cousin had to be given the Epi pen and was in the hospital until 3ish in the morning. Needless to say, the rest of the trip we asked every single place if there was peanuts in the food! Apparently that happens with tourists a lot because they don't mark their food, and they don't really care to. At least he will have a story to tell later on about how he almost died in the most beautiful place in America!

No comments:

Post a Comment